In my opinion, there’s no better way to celebrate an American holiday than with a red, white and blue dessert.
Because who doesn’t love dessert?
With a few tweaks, Kraft’s Strawberry Pretzel Squares make the perfect gluten-free treat for a warm summer day. It’s filled with delicious fresh fruit and feeds a crowd.
- 2 cups finely crushed gluten-free pretzels (I used Glutino)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 package of cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip
- 1 cups boiling water
- 1 package of JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
I like this recipe, because you can make it lighter by substituting in sugar free JELL-O, fat free cream cheese and low fat Cool Whip.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix pretzel crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a 13×9-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.
3. Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar and milk with mixer until well blended. Stir in Cool Whip and spread over crust. Refrigerate until ready for use.
4. Add boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours or until thickened.
5. Stir strawberries in with the JELL-O and pour over cream cheese layer.
6. Sprinkle blueberries on top.
7. Refrigerate for three hours or until firm.
8. Serve and enjoy.