I love my crock pot. This gluten-free slow cooker baked pasta recipe reminded me how wonderful crock pots can be.
There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day and having dinner ready. Am I right?
This gluten-free Baked Pasta with Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Ricotta recipe comes from America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook. I only had to swap out regular pasta for gluten-free pasta to make the entire dish gluten-free.
This recipe serves 6 and takes between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours from prep to table.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 garlic gloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 6 ounces sliced gluten-free pepperoni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can gluten-free tomato sauce
- Hot water as needed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (8-ounces)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Prep ingredients. Line slow cooker with aluminum foil and coat with vegetable oil spray.
2. In separate large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushroom, bell pepper, garlic, and oregano and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned (8-10 minutes).
3. Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream. Simmer until thickened slightly (about 5 minutes). Stir in gluten-free pasta, pepperoni, salt and pepper.
4. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared slow cooker and spread tomato sauce evenly over the pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is tender. The recipe suggested three hours on high. I check mine at two hours and the pasta was done. It totally depends on your slow cooker.
5. Remove foil from crock pot. Stir pasta, adding hot water as needed to loosen pasta sauce (I added 1/2 cup). Scoop ricotta over casserole, then spread mozzarella on top. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and let cook for 5-10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with basil before serving.