Weeks ago, my boyfriend and I celebrated our three year anniversary. We were looking for something special to do to celebrate the day, and we also wanted to make sure it was something that we do not normally do together. My boyfriend’s sister told me that a local natural foods store, Mama Jeans Market, was hosting a gluten-free chocolate cake cooking class on our anniversary. I was so pumped! Its like it was meant to be.
At the class, they gave us each a quinoa salad and two pieces of gluten-free chocolate cake. The salad was awesome. This was my first time eating quinoa, and I fell in love. Plus, there are a ton of health benefits linked to quinoa. It is definitely a great option for Celiacs, and I look forward to trying more recipes with it in the future.
The cake was also very good, and the ganache was to die for! My one major take away from the class was that in order to get a ‘flour like’ texture when baking, you need to mix different gluten-free flours, rather than using just one as the substitute.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 1/3 cups dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Add wet to dry and stir to combine.
- Pour in prepared pan and bake in preheated oven 35-45 minutes. The cake is done when it begins to pull away from sides of the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Start to prepare the ganache while the cake is baking. Place a saucepan of water over medium heat. In a metal bowl which sits on the saucepan, place the chocolate and almond milk. Stir until melted, and well combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread over cake and enjoy!